Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Some History of Lake Kivu Region and the Genocide Memorial in Kigali

Rwanda, Burundi and Congo were at one time all connected. Not really a state but definately united. But with colonialsim and then the Berlin Conference of 1884, Rwanda and Burundi wereseperated in the partition. At times people from Rwanda migrated into the Congo and sometimes
they were forced west. In 1959 the first genocidal event occured in Rwanda, from then until 1998 there were many more to follow. With each event of violence, people would migrate into
surrounding countries to escape death and persecution. The Lake Kivu region received not only
those escaping the genocide but in 1994 and 1995 many of the genocidaires (the term used in
Rwanda) migrated into refugee camps after the Rwanda Patriotic Army took over the state of
Rwanda.
The people that committed the genocide (Hutus), then had several destinies, return to
Rwanda, stay in the new state (D.R. Congo, Burundi, or Uganda) or leave to immigrate to another
country. Many people in the Lake Kivu region of D.R. Congo decided to stay in that area,
sometimes because they had family in the area and sometimes to continue to organize and keep
the genocidal violance alive.
The eastern area of D.R. Congo is a place with many of the same ethnic identities found in
Rwanda, Hutu and Tutsi plus many others from the rest of Congo. To perpetuate the violent
conflict is not difficult, and sometimes raids into Rwanda were coordinated. In fact, the area I
visited, Shyira, had violent attacks into 1998.
Knowing this history and the more recent attempt to reconcile Rwanda, I visited the Kigali
Memorial of genocide today. I could not shake the thought of how much violence is still common
in Rwanda's next door neighbor of North and South Kivu in Congo. And the underlying tension in
Rwanda.
I would not say the tension is high or intense, like a spark or crackle, but I would say there
exists the tightening of muscles, as if something happened to the body and relaxation is not yet
possible. The words Tutsi and Hutu are illegal in conversation and in the press.
There are no identity cards, and the president of the state was a man whose family migrated to
Uganda as refugees in the 1960's, and was instumental in the forming of the RPA and its uprising
against the last regime in which the genocide occured. He became president in 2000.
When I entered the memorial today, I had the intention of taking photographs, but as I walked
through the center and read the displays and viewed the photographs and films, I felt that maybe
I should not take any pictures (photos are only allowed outside in the gardens surrounding the
memorial). Then I entered a room full of pictures of people, then another with just children, all
of whom were slaughtered in the genocide.
While in Shyira, I took many photos and distributed the prints to those I photographed.
Because most people do not have access to such pictures of themselves and family members, the
people were excited to receive such precious pictures. So while in the memorial today, I was
struck that so many people gave their precious pictures to be displayed. Often these were the only
photographs they owned of their loved ones. And so I knew I could not take any pictures, the
sacrifice that the people endured was too great. And although it
may seem irrational, I too could not be part of any photography today. It is my way of expressing
my respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment