Wednesday, February 3, 2010

From Sewanee:

^February 1, 2010 in Sewanee.

About the Blog and This Trip:
I leave for Kigali, Rwanda and Bukavu, DR Congo in a few days. This blog is to write about my experiences on the trip. I will start out over the next week by writing on some of my research on Lake Kivu region, rape as a tactic of conflict currently and historically, and the people living in the areas I visit. I will be spending a week in Kigali, Rwanda and will write about that stay and will post photo's from my time there.

About Me:
I am a graduating senior at Sewanee: The University of the South. I have been studying Africa as an international global studies major. My senior research paper was on the Kivu Region of Rwanda and DR Congo, rape and conflict. I received the Gessell Fellowship from the university for this trip and my research this year. I have finished my coursework and will be walking on Mother's Day in May.

I visited Addis Ababa and Gambella in Ethiopia in the summer of 2008 on a research internship from the university, so this trip will be my second to the eastern region of Africa. (See the pictures posted from that trip.)

About the States in Africa:
It is important to note that there is no "Africa." Africa is a continent with 53 states in it, each with a unique history. And within each state there can be great differences. It is possible to travel 100 miles within a state and experience many different cultures and ethnicities. Ethiopia alone has over 70 ethnic groups within its borders.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment