Wednesday, February 17, 2010

More From Shyira:



























Some of you have wondered how I am getting around on this trip in Rwanda. After arriving at the airport at 2 in the morning I took a taxi to the hotel. This was a private taxi, which means only one customer, me. After then switching hotels the next day because the first was not very clean, I then walked around the city a bit. Also the city has motorcycle taxis which are quite inexpensive to get around if you do not need to transport anything. If you do have things to carry and do not want to pay the high cost of a private taxi there is a system, which in some countries is called a minitaxi system. Getting around in this way is in a mini bus (usually a Toyota that has been altered to accommodate an extra few rows of seats). This is very inexpensive and can range from 10 cents to a few dollars (U.S.) depending on the country. There are many people in this type of taxi and they get on and off depending on the destination. To get here to Shyira I took a regular bus to Ruhengeri, which looks like a small coach type bus in the U.S., and then a private truck for the last leg of the ride up the mountain. The people I am in contact up here, American doctors from South Carolina, sent the ride for me, for which I am very grateful.
I hope that this helps to explain transportation here in Rwanda!!

No comments:

Post a Comment